Monday, November 27, 2023

How We Became Intergalactic Superheroes - Rough Cover Sketches

Hi All! I figured I'd show the first rough sketches of what will eventually be the cover of my next book, a humorous middle-grade science fiction novel (or maybe technically novella) called How We Became Intergalactic Superheroes. As any author will attest to, one of the most fun parts of releasing a new book is the beaauuuutiful cover art (if you're fortunate enough to actually have beautiful cover art, that is, haha). Anyway, I work with Atreyu Studio, and below are the rough sketches they recently sent for the book.




I personally like the first one (with the stars/outer space behind the kids), since I think it's kind of hard to see what's behind them in the second one (it's supposed to be a spaceship). I just think it's simpler and easier on the eyes, which will hopefully bode well for the book. So, I told the studio I prefer that version.

I also think the kid on the left and the one in the middle look a little too scary/intimidating, and while this book does have a bit of a horror thread to it, it's mostly a comedy at its core, so I've asked them to make their expressions less eerie and more overly proud/cute. So, we'll see how that looks!

My only other change is regarding the kid on the left - he looks a bit like an ugly male space witch haha, but he's just supposed to a normal kid who's not overly attractive. So, I've asked the artist to chop down the size of both his head and nose and add some hair to his head.

Anyway, we'll see how that all looks and perhaps I'll post the updated version here! Stay tuned - it's always exciting working on new cover art!

No comments: